The Ministry of Finance is working to improve the property assessment system by implementing the recommendations of the report on the Assessment Review (Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review), in partnership with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), municipalities and stakeholders.
The Assessment Review report included specific recommendations addressing issues related to the assessment of special purpose business properties, including mills, industrial lands, farms, landfills, billboards and wind turbine towers. The report also included 26 recommendations for strengthening the property assessment system.
One of the key recommendations from the Assessment Review is the introduction of an advance disclosure process, which enables affected businesses and municipalities to contribute to the determination of assessed values before the assessment roll is finalized.
In April 2015, the Minister of Finance issued formal direction to MPAC related to the implementation of the advance disclosure process for select special purpose business properties that involve complex assessment methodologies. MPAC is now implementing this process and has published on its website methodology guides and market valuation reports which specify market factors and analytics that underlie the assessment of special purpose business properties.
The Assessment Review recommended that the Ministry of Finance and MPAC continue to consult with stakeholders in order to arrive at a recommended valuation approach for landfills for the 2016 reassessment. To support this objective, the Ministry of Finance retained the services of PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), with John Wilkinson leading the PwC team. The report on the Landfill Assessment Methodology Review contains Mr. Wilkinson’s findings and recommendations.
Assessment Review Report
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Report
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review
Progress Update Bulletins – Assessment Review
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – April 8, 2016
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – August 11, 2015
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – February 6, 2015
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin - August 12, 2014
- Bulletin announcing the release of the SPBPAR report
Landfill Assessment Review Report
Other related links
- MPAC’s website – Advance Disclosure
- Minister’s Direction to MPAC – The Ontario Gazette – April 18, 2015
Specific questions and comments related to the implementation of the Assessment Review recommendations can be sent via email or mail at the following address:
Ministry of Finance, Provincial Local Finance Division
Assessment Policy and Legislation Branch
777 Bay St, 10th floor
Toronto, ON, M5G 2C8
Email address and contact number