The Ministry of Finance is working to improve the property assessment system by implementing the recommendations of the report on the Assessment Review (Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review), in partnership with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), municipalities and stakeholders.
The Assessment Review report included specific recommendations addressing issues related to the assessment of special purpose business properties, including mills, industrial lands, farms, landfills, billboards and wind turbine towers. The report also included 26 recommendations for strengthening the property assessment system.
One of the key recommendations from the Assessment Review is the introduction of an advance disclosure process, which enables affected businesses and municipalities to contribute to the determination of assessed values before the assessment roll is finalized.
In April 2015, the Minister of Finance issued formal direction to MPAC related to the implementation of the advance disclosure process for select special purpose business properties that involve complex assessment methodologies. MPAC is now implementing this process and has published on its website methodology guides and market valuation reports which specify market factors and analytics that underlie the assessment of special purpose business properties.
In Spring 2016, former Cabinet Minister John Wilkinson led a review on the assessment methodology to value landfills. The Minister of Finance accepted the recommendations in Mr. Wilkinson’s Report on the Landfill Assessment Methodology Review.
In Fall 2016, Mr. Wilkinson was re-engaged by the Ministry to provide advice on two technical implementation aspects of his recommendations:
- Definition of the new landfill property class; and
- Framework for setting tax ratios for the class for the 2017-2020 tax years.
In November 2016, Mr. Wilkinson delivered a final report on the Implementation of the Landfill Assessment Review containing his advice on the implementation of these two issues.
Assessment Review Report
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Report
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review
Progress Update Bulletins – Assessment Review
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – April 8, 2016
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – August 11, 2015
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin – February 6, 2015
- Special Purpose Business Property Assessment Review Update Bulletin - August 12, 2014
- Bulletin announcing the release of the SPBPAR report
Landfill Assessment Review Report
- Report on the Landfill Assessment Review - Spring 2016
- Report on Implementation of the Landfills Assessment Review - Fall 2016
Other related links
- MPAC’s website – Advance Disclosure
- Minister’s Direction to MPAC – The Ontario Gazette – April 18, 2015
Specific questions and comments related to the implementation of the Assessment Review recommendations can be sent via email or mail at the following address:
Ministry of Finance, Provincial Local Finance Division
Assessment Policy and Legislation Branch
777 Bay St, 10th floor
Toronto, ON, M5G 2C8
Email address and contact number