The Ontario Trillium Benefit helps people pay for energy costs, and provides relief for sales and property tax.
The Ontario Trillium Benefit combines the following:
Do I qualify?
You need to be eligible for at least one of the Ontario Sales Tax Credit, Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit, or Northern Ontario Energy Credit to receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit.
How do I get the Ontario Trillium Benefit?
You need to file your personal income tax and benefit return (return), even if you don't have any income to report:
- Include a completed ON-BEN Application for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and the Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant, which is part of your return
- Tick Yes to the question 'Are you applying for the GST/HST credit or the Ontario sales tax credit?' on page 1 of your return.
The Canada Revenue Agency issues the Ontario Trillium Benefit payments on behalf of the province.
You must apply for the Ontario Trillium Benefit every year, as your eligibility can change from year to year because of changes in income, age, where you live and your family status.
When will I receive my money?
For the 2014 benefit year, if you qualify for:
- more than $360, you will have a choice between monthly payments starting July 2014 or a single payment at the end of the benefit year (i.e., June 2015). You get the same total amount regardless of which option you choose.
- $360 or less, you will receive a single payment in July 2014. If your entitlement is greater than $2 but less than $10, it will be increased to $10.
- $2 or less, you will not receive a payment.
Filing your return on or before the normal filing deadline of April 30th will ensure you receive your Ontario Trillium Benefit payments on time. If you file late, you will still receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit but your payment(s) may be delayed.
Who do I contact if I haven't received my payment?
The Ontario Trillium Benefit is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you qualify, but don't receive your payment by the 24th of the payment month, please contact the CRA at 1 877 627-6645.
Direct deposit or in the mail
If you receive your income tax refund by direct deposit, you will receive your Ontario Trillium Benefit payment(s) by direct deposit. Otherwise, you will receive your payment(s) in the mail by cheque.
It is faster and easier to receive your payment(s) by direct deposit. You can request direct deposit online using the My Account service or by completing a direct deposit request form. If you need help completing the form, call the CRA at 1 800 959-8281.