Published: March 2009
Content last reviewed: September 2009
978-1-4249-9393-2 (Print), 978-1-4249-9395-6 (PDF), 978-1-4249-9394-9 (HTML)
About this Notice
On June 5, 2009, the Budget Measures Act, 2009 received Royal Assent (c. 18, S.O. 2009). Schedule 30 of this statute includes amendments to the Tobacco Tax Act.
This notice provides general information and is not a substitute for the legislation.
Tobacco Tax Act
Enhancing Tobacco Tax Compliance
The following amendments, effective June 5, 2009, build on measures enacted over the past five years to strengthen enforcement against the illegal manufacture and distribution of tobacco products. These amendments include the following:
- Enforcement provisions aimed at individuals, where there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the individuals have contravened the act;
- The authority for the court to suspend the driver's licences of persons convicted of offences under the act involving the use of motor vehicles;
- Provisions that prohibit the possession of any quantity of unmarked cigarettes, unless otherwise permitted under the act;
- The authority for the Minister to apply for a court order to permit the retention of things that are seized that may afford evidence of a contravention of the act; and
- Provisions that align certain penalties imposed upon persons convicted of offences under the act.
For More Information
Ministry of Finance
Advisory Services and Program Policy Branch
Motor Fuels, Tobacco & Land Taxes
33 King Street West, PO Box 625
Oshawa ON L1H 8H9
- 1 866 ONT-TAXS (1 866 668-8297)
- Fax: 905 433-5952
- 1 800 263-7776 for teletypewriter (TTY)