As announced in the 2013 Ontario Budget, to provide greater Employer Health Tax (EHT) relief to small businesses, the government proposes to increase the amount of annual payroll that is exempt from the tax from $400,000 to $450,000 and index this amount for inflation. To better target EHT relief, the exemption would be eliminated for private-sector employers (including groups of associated employers) with annual Ontario payrolls over $5 million. Registered charities would continue to claim the exemption at all payroll sizes.
The government proposes to introduce legislation to implement these proposed changes that would, subject to the approval of the Legislature, be effective January 1, 2014. Find out more
This and related EHT publications will be updated if and when legislative amendments are approved by the Legislature.
Are there any exemptions?
In general, eligible employers are exempt from Employer Health Tax (EHT) on the first $400,000 of annual Ontario payroll. Eligible employers who are associated must allocate the exemption among members of the associated group. Public sector employers are not eligible for the tax exemption.
Do I have to pay EHT?
You have to pay EHT if you are an employer and you:
- have employees who report for work at your permanent establishment in Ontario
- pay your employees from your Ontario permanent establishment if they don't report for work at your permanent establishment, and
- have Ontario remuneration in excess of your allowable exemption amount
Do I need to register for EHT?
You need to register with the ministry if you are an employer and you are:
- not eligible for the tax exemption
- eligible for the tax exemption and your Ontario payroll exceeds your allowable exemption amount
What information do I need to register for EHT?
To register for EHT, you must provide the following information:
- legal name
- trade name
- business address
- mailing address
- telephone and fax numbers
- name of contact person or authorized representative
- payroll start date
- estimated annual payroll
- payroll frequency
- federal business number
- employer type (for example: associated, multiple account, public sector)
How do I register for EHT?
To register for EHT, you can:
What are the tax rates?
|Total Ontario remuneration
|Up to $200,000.00
|$200,000.01 to $230,000.00
|$230,000.01 to $260,000.00
|$260,000.01 to $290,000.00
|$290,000.01 to $320,000.00
|$320,000.01 to $350,000.00
|$350,000.01 to $380,000.00
|$380,000.01 to $400,000.00
- The tax rate is based on the total Ontario payroll before deducting any tax exemption.
- The tax rate for a multiple account employer is based on the combined Ontario payroll amount of all the employer's accounts.
- The tax rate for an associated employer is based on the total Ontario payroll amount of each legal entity.
Do I need to pay instalments?
Employers with annual Ontario payroll of $600,000 or less are not required to make EHT instalment payments.
Employers with a payroll exceeding $600,000 are required to pay monthly EHT instalments. Employers who are eligible for the tax exemption, and who have payroll exceeding $600,000, are not required to pay monthly instalments until after their cumulative payroll exceeds their allowable exemption amount.
Employers with an annual Ontario payroll of $600,000 or less are required to make EHT payments by March 15 of the following calendar year, with the filing of the annual return.
If your Ontario payroll for a year exceeds $600,000, you must contact the Ministry of Finance as you must start paying monthly instalments.
Where can I pay my EHT instalments?
You can pay your EHT instalments:
How do I file my annual return?
The ministry will mail you a personalized annual return. Your EHT annual return is due March 15th of the following calendar year. If you have a special return, it is due on the 15th of the month after the payroll was paid. If you have a final return, it is due 40 days after your business closes or the amalgamation date.
It is your responsibility to contact the Ministry of Finance if your Ontario payroll for the year exceeds your allowable exemption amount. This will ensure that annual returns are issued.
You can file your return:
To contact ServiceOntario:
- visit their website
- call: 416 326-1234 / 1 800 267-8097
- teletypewriter (TTY): 416 325-3408 / 1 800 268-7095
- fax: 416 325-3407
You should file an EHT annual return if you are mailed a return.
Financial Institutions are not authorized to accept or process annual, special or final EHT returns.