Provincial Land Tax

Frequently Asked Questions for Individuals


How do the 2013 changes impact my provincial land tax bill?

Property valuation updates – known as reassessments – are conducted every four years. The 2012 reassessment updates property assessments from 2008 values (used for taxes from 2009 to 2012) to 2012 values. Assessment increases will be phased in from 2013 to 2016 while decreases will take effect immediately. 

This reassessment will not result in any additionalprovincial land tax revenue for the Province in 2013. Annual provincial land tax revenue for the government of Ontario remains at approximately $10.7 million and the minimum tax per property remains at $6 per year.

However, approximately half of all properties in the unincorporated territory will see PLT increases, and half will see provincial land tax decreases. Of those taxpayers who experience a PLT increase, 90% will see a provincial land tax increase of less than $20.

The phased in assessment values will also be used for Education Property Tax, Local Roads Board levies and Local Services Board levies.

How do I order a tax certificate for a property I have purchased?

To order a tax certificate, follow these steps:

  1. Download the application for tax certificate [PDF - 1.43 MB]
  2. Complete all fields
  3. Write a cheque or money order for $50.00, made payable to the “City of Thunder Bay”
  4. Send your completed application by mail to:
    Ministry of Finance
    Provinical Land Tax
    PO Box 58
    Thunder Bay ON P7C 0A5

How can I access property assessment information?

The property tax assessment roll for the land located in non-municipal areas, also known as the unincorporated territory, can be accessed in a variety of ways:

View the current year's assessment roll online, as issued by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation. You can search by geographical area, roll number and property location. To protect the privacy of property owners, names are not listed.

Online tool

Note: This information is to be used solely for the purpose of reviewing property assessment information in the context of the Assessment Act. In particular, you are not authorized to resell such information.

A hard copy of the property tax assessment roll for the unincorporated territory is available for viewing at the Ministry of Finance, College Park, 10th Floor, 777 Bay St, Toronto,  ON,  M5G 2C8.

Property owners who have a Municipal Property Assessment Corporation’s AboutMyProperty account can access property tax assessment roll data online using their current User ID and password. If you have questions about this application, multiple listings or using assessment information for non-personal use, call Municipal Property Assessment Corporation at 1 866 296-6722.

Read on: Municipal Property Assessment Corporation Products and Services

Page: 2293  |