Gas Card (Certificate of Exemption)

Engagement on Modernizing the Ontario Gas Card Program

The Ontario government is exploring options to modernize the Ontario Gas Card Program to improve service for First Nation individuals, gasoline retailers and industry stakeholders; and overall program efficiency and integrity.

We are asking for your input. Please go to the Engagement page to view the discussion paper and provide your responses.

In Ontario, there is a tax of 14.7 cents per litre on gasoline. First Nations individuals and bands do not have to pay this tax if they use their valid gas card when they buy gasoline:

  • for their own use, and
  • from an authorized gasoline retailer on a reserve.

Do I qualify?

To get a gas card, you need to be a:

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada issues a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document to newly registered individuals. This document may be used as proof of your registration, until you receive a status card.

Gas cards are renewed every five years.

How do I get a gas card?

To get a gas card, you need to include a copy of your status card with your completed application form.

Download the Application for Certificate of Exemption for First Nations Individuals [PDF - 314 KB]

You can also mail or fax a written request to the Ministry of Finance, following these instructions:

  1. Make a clear photocopy of the front and back of your status card or your Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document.
  2. Print your name, full mailing address and telephone number on the photocopy.
  3. Give a reason why you are applying for a gas card. For example:
      • first time applying,
      • card was damaged,
      • card was lost, or
      • your name was changed on the band list.
  4. Sign your name at the bottom of the photocopy.

To get a gas card for a First Nations band, include:

  • Band name
  • List of eligible First Nations drivers
  • List of band-owned vehicles, including makes, models and licence plate numbers

Mail your request and required information to:

Ministry of Finance
Client Services Branch
33 King Street West
PO Box 625
Oshawa ON  L1H 8E9

Or fax to 905 433-5680

Read on: First Nations gasoline purchases
Page: 2310  |