Ontario Hydro Payments in Lieu of Federal and Provincial Corporate Tax (PILs)

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register an account with the Ministry of Finance?

Before registering an account with the Ministry of Finance, you must first register with the Ontario Ministry of Government Services to obtain your Ontario Corporation Number (OCN). Once you have obtained your OCN, contact the Ministry of Finance at 1 866 ONT-TAXS (1 866 668-8297) or download the Request for Registration form [PDF - 576 KB].

How will I receive my tax return?

You can continue to access your T2 returns and prior year versions online at the CRA website.

When will my tax return be processed?

Returns received between April 2011 and September 2011 will be processed in September. After September, all tax returns will be processed as they are received.

When is my Hydro PILs Tax return due?

A completed T2 return and any supporting documents must be filed within six months after the end of your taxation year.

When will I receive my assessment?

Assessments will be sent out after your tax return is processed.

When will I receive my refund?

If you are entitled to a refund, it will be paid after the assessment is issued.

Will I be charged interest and/or penalty for the period until my tax return is processed?

If you have done the following on time: made your instalment payments, paid the balance of tax in full, and filed your tax return, you will not be assessed interest or penalty for the delay in processing your tax return.

I received a statement with an estimated amount owing. How was that amount calculated?

Tax clients who do not file their returns on time may receive an assessment that has automatically estimated an amount of tax owing. Estimated amounts will be calculated based on the average of total tax assessed on/up to the past six (6) filed tax returns excluding nil and credit tax returns.

Where can I mail/deliver my Hydro PILs tax return?

Mail or deliver to:

Ministry of Finance
33 King Street West
PO Box 620
Oshawa ON L1H 8E9

Please note: Although the CRA administers Corporate income taxes on behalf of Ontario, Ontario continues to administer the Hydro PILs for which returns and payments will be accepted at ServiceOntario locations or call 1 866 ONT-TAXS (1 866 668-8297).


File online using ONT-TAXS online – the ministry's secure and convenient online tax service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you are using a CRA approved tax return software package from 2009 or later, refer to instructions on page one under the heading « How do I file my Hydro Payments in Lieu Return ». All returns and payments should be sent to the Ministry of Finance. However a Nil return must be filed with CRA.

How do I make payments for my Hydro Payments in Lieu instalments and balance of tax due?

Payments can be made using any of the following methods:

Payments should be in Canadian funds and be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Your Identification Number should be printed on the back of the cheque or money order.

Page: 3126  |